Can We Use CBD Deliberately To Treat Anxiety and Stress?
Everyone can have anxiety and stress, and it is becoming a big problem for the younger generation. Anxiety is a reaction of the body to stress that accumulates throughout the day.
As people become more conscious of mental health issues, symptoms related to stress and anxiety are now given focus to combat its symptoms and find solutions to address disorders arising from it.
Here are some common symptoms of anxiety and stress
- High blood pressure
- Chest pains
- Heart palpitations
- Skin rashes
- Loss of sleep
- Frequent urination
- Stomach ache
Theoretically, anxiety and stress are not always bad things to have or feel. These responses are there to help the human body conquer different challenges when it thinks that it’s in a dangerous situation. However, being exposed to long hours of stress and anxiety can produce symptoms that are not comfortable for the person and can lead to serious mental problems.
If you think that you might have an anxiety disorder and it is becoming an issue, then maybe it’s time to ask for help from a trusted doctor and get treated.
Here is a list of different kinds of stress and anxiety disorders.
GAD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder
GAD is a prevalent anxiety disorder and shows how a person worries about things that may happen to them or their family. It could be described as unmanageable worry without any valid reason.
This disorder causes a person to have panic attacks. It is described as a moment of utmost fear with shortness of breath, a pounding heart, and fear of impending disaster. This kind of anxiety attack can be very uncomfortable for the person experiencing it since symptoms can be a bit similar when you have a heart attack.
Post-traumatic stress disorder
PTSD is a kind of anxiety disorder that occurs when a person gets flashbacks or anxiety because of a traumatic experience that happened to them.
Social Phobia is a distress or fear when a person associates with another person.
A disorder characterized when a person feels a compulsion to make or complete certain things repetitively.
Possible Treatment For Anxiety And Stress
There are different kinds of medicine prescribed to treat anxiety, but it might have some side effects. This problem makes people find alternatives to cure their mental illness. One of the options that they have is CBD or cannabidiol. Cannabidiol is one of the components of cannabinoid that can be found in the cannabis plant.
Due to their potent effect as a stimulant, research has shown that some CBD capsules can be a potential treatment to relieve patients from the symptoms and effects of anxiety and its related mental disorder.
Here are some studies that claim the effects of cannabidiol in treating anxiety and stress.
- A 2010 a study showed that cannabidiol could help with anxiety. After the patients underwent a brain scan, it appears that there are some changes in blood flow in the brain. These areas with changes are involved in creating anxiety.
- A study in 2011 showed that patients with social anxiety disorder manifest fewer problems and discomfort in public speaking.
- In 2012, some studies about animals showed that animals with anxiety could be reduced after consuming cannabidiol. It is the result when they put a predator before and after getting a dose of CBD.
- In 2014, some research presented that that CBD oil had anti-anxiety and antidepressant effects.
- An analysis in 2015 shows different studies verified that CBD oil could be used in treating several anxieties and stress disorders like panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, or generalized anxiety disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- 2016, researchers check the effect of cannabidiol on a PTSD patient who tried traditional medication but somewhat effect and has side effects on the patients. The patient was able to manage the anxiety and have a better sleep after getting CBD daily dosage.
Does Medical Cannabis Work?
The human body actually has different receptors that receive signals from outside stimuli. CBD interacts with these receptors and can initiate changes in the serotonin level. Serotonin is an essential neurotransmitter in the body that has many functions and also affects the mood, especially the body’s “happy feelings.”
When the serotonin level is low, it can be related to a higher risk of depression and anxiety. CBD appears to lessen the feedback provided by the receptors and makes serotonin to produce more at a faster rate, which reduces stress.
CBD also has some side effects including:
- Dry mouth
- Change in weight.
- Low blood pressure
It’s essential to communicate with your doctor before using CBD. Make sure that CBD will not have any adverse effect on your prescribed medicine. Also, it is essential to know that some states did not legalize Cannabis for medical use.
Guest article written by Alan Wood