Can you Die From Daffodils?

You can most definitely die from eating daffodils. That’s because there are toxic alkaloids inside the tissues that make them unpalatable to most animals.

Daffodils are deer-resistant and thus, it’s a pretty good indication that you should never eat them yourself. The main toxic chemical in daffodils is lycorine. It causes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms help your body get them out of the system before they are absorbed fully into the tissue. To date, I could not find any credible medical report of someone who died from eating a daffodil. There are reports of pets, but that’s about it. With this knowledge I made this StoneAgeMan video about daffodils. 

Written by Rob Nelson

Rob is an ecologist from the University of Hawaii. He is the co-creator and director of Untamed Science. His goal is to create videos and content that are entertaining, accurate, and educational. When he's not making science content, he races whitewater kayaks and works on Stone Age Man.

You can follow Rob Nelson