Life and Death of a Flower Timelapse
Over the course of two months, I photographed a hyacinth bulb growing, flowering, and dying. All of this started before the coronavirus pandemic started, so I added a little tease at the beginning to what it was like pre and post virus.
A bit about the logistics: It was roughly 15,000 images taken as jpegs with my dslr camera. I took a photo every 5 minutes, although I think that timespan is too fast now. I’d have dialed that down to 10 minutes to decrease the amount of footage I had to deal with afterwards.
I also spent about 3 months post-processing the images and cutting each of the flowers out. Many of the comments on youtube indicated how much work that is. It’s true, but there is a bit of a shortcut. After Effects has a roto brush tool that uses AI to figure out what the next frame should be. So, I probably did 40 full cutouts and then another 200 or so adjustments to those as the roto-brush tool did it’s thing. It was still a ton of work though as the computer took a long time to process each image.