Top STEM Topic Areas for a Strong Dissertation
Before you finish college, you’ll be required to complete a dissertation to help gauge the skills and knowledge you’ve gained in your area of study. If you’re a STEM student, you need to be smart to complete the dissertation, and this starts with your topic selection. We’ve selected some top science topics to make your dissertation strong and show your mastery of content.
What Dissertation Topic Selection Involves
Your dissertation topic selection must be wise to make the subject of your dissertation precise. Topic selection isn’t something you do within two minutes or a day. You have to take your time, research well, question your mastery, and settle on a topic you understand well. Importantly, research winning topics that interest your audience and that have many related sources and materials.
Since your dissertation will have a recommendation, it’s important to understand what’s been done and what you’ve done to recommend what’s to be done in the future to improve the topic. A very broad topic isn’t good. You won’t get the time or resources to research and discuss every aspect of the subject matter. When selecting a dissertation topic, make it current and up to date. This also means you’ll get resources and relevant materials from previous works and use them to improve your work.
Top STEM Topic Areas for Dissertations Today
We’ve categorized these topics based on STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) categories. Note that some stem topics overlap, and it’s alright to write a dissertation on one category even if it is similar to a different STEM category.
Top Science Topics
Depending on your area of science, you can select a dissertation topic from the following trending areas in science:
- Microbiology and Bioengineering like AAV gene therapy
- Climate change, Endangered Species, and sustainable agriculture
- Infectious diseases, Epidemiology, and Viruses
- Cancer Biology
- Behavioral Biology and economics, such as in marketing, media, and political misinformation
- Data science
- Music therapy
Top Technology Topics
Technology is comprehensive but has a point of convergence. Depending on your area of technology, you can research topics from the following technology trends and developments:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning
- Blockchain and cryptocurrency
- Edge Computing
- Quantum Computing
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
- Web 3.0
Top Engineering Topics
Like technology, engineering is wide with many topics but has a point of convergence. Some engineering topics also overlap with technology and science topics. Here are the top engineering topics and emerging industries that you can research and write on
- Financial engineering, such as blockchain
- Robotics and automation. This includes AI and machine learning in science.
- Autonomous/self-driving vehicles
- Nanotechnology and new materials
- Clean energy/environmental protection engineering
- Bioengineering and engineering of complex diseases
- Nuclear engineering
- Digital security
Top Mathematics Topics
All math topics are intertwined with numbers and algebra, but they diverge in purpose. Depending on your area of mathematics study and research, here are the top math trends that can make your dissertation strong:
- Mathematical Finance
- Applied analysis and mathematics
- Scientific Computing and Numerical Analysis
- Algebra, Geometry, and Combinatorics
- Partial Differential Equations
- Mathematical Biology
- Differential Geometry and topology
- Martian gravity
STEM is a world of exciting discoveries, new developments, facts, theories, and research. As a student, writing a dissertation requires analyzing topics and looking for relevance, credible sources, and new developments to gain knowledge and prove mastery.