Yes, Persimmons CAN KILL YOU!

Believe it or not, but persimmons have killed people in the past. It’s not because they’re toxic or poisonous either.

Instead, it’s because they have a unique chemical in their tissues when they are not yet ripe that will aid in forming a food lump in the stomach. This chemical is called shibuol. It is a tannin found in the unripe astringent varieties of persimmons. I explain more about this in our weekly video about persimmons.

Written by Rob Nelson

Rob is an ecologist from the University of Hawaii. He is the co-creator and director of Untamed Science. His goal is to create videos and content that are entertaining, accurate, and educational. When he's not making science content, he races whitewater kayaks and works on Stone Age Man.

You can follow Rob Nelson